This article explains why and when you should convert a WP site to a static site, common methods, and a step-by-step process.
WordPress is a popular content management system that is easy to install and run by technicians and non-technicians. However, the use of database systems and other dynamic website components can slow page load times or expose them to security vulnerabilities.
So, if you want to increase speed and security, you can consider converting your WP site to an HTML site. Database queries, PHP code, and other things that should make page load times longer or slower are not completed by a static website. Conversely, when a user makes a request, the HTML page loads almost immediately.
There are several ways to convert a website in WordPress to HTML. You can use a WordPress plugin (such as Simple Static) or a third-party desktop tool (such as HTTrack).
The basic process is to convert each post and page into a static HTML document. Then upload the subdomain or the main domain in the same structured HTML file and remain accessible as the original WPWeb site.
WordPress plugins like Simply Static can automatically publish any WordPress page as a converted static HTML file.
· Simply convert WP to static HTML using the static plugin
· Log into your WP dashboard
· Find Add new in plugins and open it
· Enter the keyword search box to search
· Install the Simple Static plugin to activate
· Click [Settings] to configure the file conversion method.
· This will bring up a screen for selecting three destination URL options and a delivery method.
· Choose an available destination URL option
· Use absolute URLs
Convert and create HTML files suitable for various URLs or domains. In this case, we use the first option to add the URL where we will place our static website.
Specifies the target URL for the distribution of the generated HTML content. This can be a subdomain, directory, or in some cases, the URL of the primary domain.
To replace WordPress on your primary domain, use this URL. However, be aware that this will overwrite your WordPress files, so you may need to move them to another directory.
So, you can use it on any website regardless of your WP website name converted to a static HTML file. There is an option to include the path in case you don’t want to put the path in the root directory.
So you can convert your WP to a static URL and save it to your local drive or any other storage medium. This option allows you to view the website offline.
create HTML file
Go to the “simplistic” section and click “Generate”. In the window that opens, click on Create a static file. The conversion process will begin, which may take several minutes or more.
Once completed, you will see a link to download the compressed file. You can extract the URLs you use by storing them locally. For offline viewing, you can use a local URL.
· Click on the link provided to download the file to your local drive.
· Log into cPanel and open the old file manager. You can use an FTP client. Navigate to the URL folder where you want to load your HTML website.
· Click to download
· Locate the compressed download file on your hard drive.
· Select it and upload it to a URL.
· Depending on the speed of your Internet connection, this process may take several minutes.
· Go to this site where you downloaded the file
Choose the same directory as your website. This example uses the / tests/directory in the example.com folder. If you want to put it in your root domain directory, do so, but make sure it’s in a different location to avoid overwriting your old WordPress files (if using the same directory).
You are now ready to run the static version of the website. Just type the URL into your browser and it will open as a WordPress site.
- Download the open-source tool from
- Install and run the app on your computer
- Name it to distinguish it from other future downloadable websites
- Select Download Site from the Action drop-down list.
- Enter the WordPress download URL in the URL box. You can specify other websites by clicking the Add URL option.
- Click Next to exit and start the conversion and download process.